Monday, December 17, 2012

The winter holidays are quickly approaching!  I know that everyone at school will be happy to get this much-needed break.

Here's what I am reading this week:


One of my 5th graders is reading this book, and it looked interesting, so I picked it up too.  It was an amazing read.  Sickness, especially cancer, is a tough topic to deal with in children's literature, but this book made it work.  There were sad scenes that had me tearing up while I was reading on the bus, but there were many funny moments as well. 


I read "The Elephant Scientist" for my librarian/teacher book club, and it was fascinating!  The photographs alone are breathtaking, and they are further enhanced by the story of Dr. Caitlyn O’Connell, a scientist who has spent many years studying elephants in Namibia.  Do you want to know what it's really like to be a scientist in the field?  Then don't miss this book, or the others in the same series!

By the way, did you know that the silver medal on the book cover is called the Sibert Honor Medal?  


What is that, you ask?  Well, this medal is given yearly to the best informational book for children, and every year, there are runner-ups, like "The Elephant Scientist."  Read about other Sibert Medal books here!

No comments:

Post a Comment